Nursing Interventions for Pneumothorax
November 12, 2010 | In: Nursing Interventions
Nursing Interventions: Pneumothorax
- Listen to the patient’s fear and concerns.
- Keep the patient as comfortable as possible.
- Administer analgesics as necessary.
- Assess the patient’s respiratory status.
- Monitor ABG levels regularly as ordered.
- Watched for complications signaled by pallor, grasping respirations, and sudden chest pain.
- Encourage the patient to perform deep breathing exercises every hour when awake.
- Carefully monitor vital signs at least every hour for indications of shock.
- Listen for breath sounds over both lungs.
- Prepare the patient for thoracotomy as indicated.