A radiopaque medium is instilled directly into the trachea and bronchi and the entire bronchial tree or selected areas may be visualized through x-ray.
Nursing Interventions before Bronchogram
- Secure written consent.
- Check for allergies to seafoods or iodine or anesthesia.
- NPO 6 to 8 hours.
- Pre-op meds: atropine SO4 and valium, topical anesthesia sprayed followed by local anesthetic injected into larynx.
- Have oxygen and antispasmodic agents ready.
Nursing Interventions after Bronchogram
- Side-lying position.
- NPO until cough and gag reflexes return.
- Cough and deep breathe client.
- Low grade fever common.