Nursing Interventions: Endometriosis
- Encourage the patient and her partner to verbalize their feelings about the disorder and its effect on their relationship.
- Help the patient develop effective coping strategies.
- If the patient bleeds excessively with menses, monitor for signs and symptoms of anemia.
- Check hemoglobin level as ordered.
- Monitor the patients response to therapy.
- Explain all the procedures and treatment options. Clarify any misconceptions about the disorder, associated complications, and fertility.
- Because infertility is possible complication, counsel the patient who wants children not to postpone childbearing.
- Recommend that the patient have an annual pelvic examination and a Papanicolaou test.
- Teach the patient about the adverse effects of pharmacologic interventions.