- Advise patient to avoid cutting, shaving, brushing, or picking lesions
- Advise patients to wear shower shoes in locker rooms or public showers
- Wash hands carefully after touching a lesion
- Keep patient’s hands and feet dry and clean as possible since there is a greater chance of organisms growing in warm and moist environments
- Be sensitive to the mental/emotional damage to patients. Many clients become depressed/suicidal
- Prevent infection
- Offer emotional support to patients
- Encourage patients to adhere to treatment program such as Chemotheraphy, medicine, surgeries, etc.
- Counsel regarding sun avoidance and strict use of sunscreens, as soon as the diagnosis is made, given their propensity to skin cancer.