Nursing Interventions: Cytomegalovirus Infection
- Institute and maintain standard precautions before coming into contact with the patient’s blood or other body fluids.
- Administer medication to treat symptoms as needed.
- Offer nutritionally adequate meals.
- Provide emotional support and counseling to the parent’s of a child with CMV infection.
- Monitor the patient’s vital signs, especially his temperature and intake and output.
- Monitor the patient for signs and symptoms of opportunistic infections.
- If the patient has respiratory involvement, monitor respiratory status closely.
- For the patient with impaired vision, provide a safe environment and encourage optimal independence.
- For the patient with respiratory involvement, administer oxygen and assist with ventilations as needed.