In today’s class, the clinical instructor is discussing all about Bed bath, bed shampoo and sponge bath. While the Clinical instructor lectures about bed shampoo, Kayla finds herself engrossed and listening intently.
According to the lecture, hair care increases blood flow to the scalp and removes oils and dirt; and clean hair prevents skin irritation or inflammation as well as it also helps a person feel and look better. According to what she has learned, bed shampoo is to be done in the following steps:
1. Gather supplies:
- Shampoo tray
- Towels and washcloths
- Comb and brush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Basin with warm water
- Plastic pitcher
2. Prepare the person and protect the bed:
- Cover the person’s neck, shoulders, and chest so he does not get wet.
- Put the bucket on the floor or on a footstool at the head of the bed.
- Cover the head of the bed with a waterproof pad to keep the bed from getting wet.
- Gently lift the person’s head and place the shampoo tray under his head with the U opening under his neck.
3. Wash, dry, and style the person’s hair:
- Wet the person’s hair with warm water. Avoid his ears and eyes.
- Put a small amount of shampoo on the person’s head and gently rub his hair and scalp.
- Rinse the person’s hair with warm water until the shampoo is gone.
- Apply conditioner to the hair, if desired, and rinse well.
- Remove the tray or trough and replace it with a towel.
- Gently dry the person’s hair with the towel.
- Comb or brush and style the person’s hair.
Other need to knows when performing bed shampoo
- Use a shampoo tray if possible. It is made of hard plastic with a U-shaped opening for the neck to rest on. The tray is shaped to allow water to drain into a bucket.
- At home, the patient can also make a shampoo tray:
- Roll a large towel into a log.
- Shape the towel log into a U.
- Put the U-shaped towel log onto a large plastic trash bag.
- Place the curve of the U under the person’s neck and head. The person’s head and hair should rest inside the trough made by the shape of the U.
- Make sure the end of the plastic bag is hanging off of the bed.
- Direct the edges of the plastic bag so the water drains into a bucket.