To assist with or to apply a surgical dressing
Sterile dressing container with:
- 1 Tissue Forceps
- 1 Round Nose Forceps
- 1 Mayo Scissors
Pick-up forceps in solution
Solution (iodine, zephiran, alcohol 70%, Benzene or other, etc.)
Bed Screen p.r.n
Sterile sponge 4 x 4
Sterile cotton balls
Sterile top dressing
Bed protector p.r.n
- Explain procedure to patient. Screen the bed and make patient comfortable.
- Expose area to be dressed. Protect beddings p.r.n.
- Remove adhesive and outer dressings and discard in paper bag or kidney basin lined with paper.
- Set sterile field, using pick-up forceps to remove sterile articles from the containers:
- Remove inner dressings with forceps.
- Using the hemostat, cleanse area with prescribed solution.
- Apply medicine ordered.
- Apply dressings and secure with tape.
- Make patient comfortable and take equipment away.
a. Place towel open to two thickness, on bed near, dressing or on patient’s bedside table.
b. Put out enough dressings and cotton balls on sterile towel. (Use judgment in setting out the supplies.)
c. Place thumb forceps and hemostat so that handles are over the edge of the towel.
a. Pick-up sponge with hemostat pour solution over it.
b. Clean incision line first. Discard sponge. Repeat until clean than clean area around wound.