Changing Mainline IV bag
- Check physicians order.
- Wash Hands.
- Select correct solution (using 5 rights of drug administration).
Remove outer wrap.
- Inspect bag carefully for tears or leaks by applying gentle pressure to the bag.
- Hold the bag up and examine for cloudiness, discoloration, or any foreign matter.
- Label bag with patient’s name, date, time or according to agency policy.
- Tape bag based on hourly flow rate and initial.
- Identify patient, explain procedure and asses IV site.
- Asses IV site again.
- Discard old bag according to agency policy
- Record I&O and IV solution according to agency policy.