Nursing Interventions for Hepatic Encephalopathy
October 26, 2010 | In: Nursing Interventions
Nursing Interventions: Hepatic Encephalopathy
- Promote rest, comfort, and a quiet atmosphere. Instruct the patient to avoid stressful exercise.
- Administer medications, as ordered.
- Ask the dietary department to provide specified low-protein diet, with carbohydrates supplying most of the calories.
- Provide good mouth care, as ordered.
- Use appropriate safety measures to protect the patient fro injury.
- Frequently assess and record the patient’s level of consciousness.
- Monitor the patient’s intake, output, and fluid and electrolyte balance.
- Watch for and immediately report laboratory indicators of clinical signs of anemia.
- Assess the patient for the desired effects of medication and watch for adverse reactions.
- Teach the patient and his family about the disease and treatment.